Surface Meteorological Instrumentataion
The Surface Instrument Division was conceived and established at Pune after India became an independent country. Conventional Surface Meteorological instruments, upper air Ozonesonde and Radiometersonde instruments are manufactured at the Instruments Division. These instruments are manufactured at a well equipped and self sufficient workshop which is ISO 9001-2008 certified maintained by the division. All manufactured instruments are tested and calibrated in an inhouse calibration laboratory. The laboratory also carry out research and development in instrumentation and bring out new designs. The Division maintains detailed instruction manuals and engineering drawings on all instruments. The division established and maintains a large network of Automatic Weather Stations (AWS), Radiation Observatories, Airport Meteorological Instruments etc. These activities have contributed towards IMD, Pune being designated as the Regional Training Center for instruments by the World Meteorological Organization. The Division is headed by the Deputy Director General of Meteorology (Surface Instruments).
The Workshop of Surface Instrument Division, Pune was established way back in 1920 with the objective of inspection and maintenance of surface meteorological instruments installed at IMD observatories. Since 1947 IMD, Pune Workshop was fully equipped with several shop floors, ranging from foundry to packing units for manufacturing of all types of surface meteorological instruments.In 2010 the workshop unit was awarded with ISO 9001:2008 certifications for Manufacture, Testing, Calibration and Supply of Meteorological Instruments. Recertification audit of ISO 9001:2008 was conducted on 25th July 2014 and is now valid till 2017.
The Surface Instrument Division has the mandate :
- To manufacture, calibrate, supply and maintain surface meteorological instruments at observatories of IMD.
- To supply and maintain Airport Meteorlogical Instruments for civil airports.
- To supply instruments to defence organisations.
- To maintain the network of Automatic Weather stations (AWS) and Automatic Raingauge stations (ARG) for near real time weather forecasting services of IMD.
- To impart trainings to operational staff of IMD for maintenance and upkeep of instruments.